Here's what I think:
The continuation of the Ivy League tradition into a high-level, well-paid job is not dissimilar from the transition from high school into an Ivy League college. When you first arrive, you are all nervous and don't know what's going to happen, but within a short amount of time you are so bombarded with fun events and pre-planned social outings that you can't help but meet new people and feel comfortable where you are at. Going through life in an incubation unit is very easy for those who have money or talent.
I'd be curious to know what it is like to actually have a difficult time with most of my life. I've been blessed with a loving family, financial solvency, academic ability, and numerous extraordinary companions that have helped me throughout my life. Sometimes even the absence of problems, in the serious sense, in my own life is enough the provide the salve on the wound of someone else.
I found it a little difficult to come out of college without some sort of a complex. I was surrounded by brilliant kids from all over the world who were working their hardest to become doctors, Ph.D's, lawyers, bankers, or what have you. The world felt dull in comparison. However, it is horrendous of me to undervalue life experience from people who haven't had the same experiences that I have. I don't understand why it is so difficult for me to not do this.
It's weird. I want my wife to be smarter than me, to understand poetry and literature in ways that I never could, and to have the ability to make me look like an intellectual ignoramus (something I am from time to time). While hopefully she won't do this regularly, it is certain that she must have this ability. I need someone smarter than me to teach me humility, and to find intellectual sparks in the ever loneliest of souls.
Wedding 2.
-
Here I am. Waiting to celebrate my second wedding. Or. Uh. I guess. Waiting
to celebrate my wedding for the second time. I guess. That makes more sense.
I'm...
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment